May 29, 2015

Leaving Planet Earth and trying to get home

“These are the seasons of emotion / And like the winds they rise and fall / This is the wonder of devotion / I see the torch we all must hold.”

Led Zeppelin, “The Rain Song”.

“Finally, I would like to say that, if one absolutely needs to compare me to someone, it should be Dovzhenko. He was the first director for whom the problem of atmosphere was particularly important, and he loved his native land passionately. I share his love for my land, which is why I feel him very close to me. I’ll add: he made his films as if they were vegetable gardens, as if they were gardens. He would water them himself, he would make everything grow with his own hands … His love of the land and of the people made his characters grow, as it were, from the earth itself. They were organic, complete. I would very much like to resemble him in this respect. If I didn’t succeed, I would feel mortified.” 

Andrei Tarkovsky, interviewed by Michel Ciment, Luda Schnitzer and Jean Schnitzer, in Positif, 1969. 































Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972). The Song Remains the Same (Joe Massot and Peter Clifton, 1976). Outward and inner travel, a fear of going into space and of what memory will produce during the long stretches alone. A desire to be back home, on Earth, near grass and water and children. Space travel and reluctance to travel.