April 9, 2014

Chris and Cosey top 10

Good choices, these. I have trouble with A Clockwork Orange myself but regardless. And who wouldn’t like the notion of Throbbing Gristle as secret Star Wars fans, hiding pieces of Lucas dialogue and film soundtrack inside the civilisation-wrecking noise?
Later, I managed to get hold of the audio from the film, and if you listen carefully to some of the early Throbbing Gristle recordings (the live tracks) you can hear all sorts of Star Wars clips that me and Sleazy (Peter Christopherson) were spinning in from cassette – bleeps, explosions, bits of dialogue. Here’s a funny six degrees of separation: in 1977 I was also working part time in a furniture store in Hampstead, London, when a buyer from Lucas Films came in and ordered a dozen or so expensive Italian black high-backed chairs. I was tasked with delivering them to Elstree studios, which I did, right onto the Star Wars set. The chairs were used in the ‘Death Star conference room’ scenes with Darth Vader and Peter Cushing.