February 13, 2013

To this day

“To this day, I have the feeling that as a child, I saw an elephant in the street. I’m sure of it. I was told that one just didn’t see an elephant in Glubczyce, a small town in western Poland. I saw it in the town square. How did it get there? Was it a mystery, a déjà vu, a prophesy? A belief, rather, that there are more things in Heaven and Earth. Not long ago, I met an Italian who had had an experience just like that of the woman in The Double Life of Veronique. One night he woke up in a fright and couldn’t go back to sleep. Next day, a colleague gave him a photo of an American rock band. He was in the photo, but he had never been to America. Later, he was told that the singer had died the night he had woken up, afraid that something awful had happened. A mysterious feeling, obscurity, secrecy always exist.”

Krzysztof Kieślowski, interviewed by Krzysztof Wierzbicki in I’m So So (1995).