November 26, 2009

Decades

And the best film of the decade is ... Mulholland Drive? Actually, they're probably right. Time Out New York assembled its 14 regular film critics and drew up a master list of the decade's 50 best films. I'd been planning a year-end best but a decade list? Hadn't occurred to me until now. But I'm pretty sure that all of Time Out New York's top five -- Mulholland Drive, There Will Be Blood, The New World, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and In the Mood for Love -- would make my top ten in some order or another. Also -- I'm impressed that Keith Unlich has made a case for two of the decade's most critically undervalued films: Michael Mann's Miami Vice and Brian De Palma's Femme Fatale (even if I'd put Mann's Collateral higher than Miami Vice). The parochialist in me notes (but doesn't mind) that there isn't a NZ film in it, not even a Lord of the Rings. Always had a feeling that their reputation -- and King Kong's -- would fade over time and that Heavenly Creatures will be the Jackson film we value.